Archive for July, 2008

Tip from a friend

July 31, 2008

Psexec.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

example..
I need to log a route change with the client so i need to run a tracert from their machine…
So I open a DOS prompt and run this…

C:\WINDOWS>psexec \\192.168.1.1 -u remote-username -p remote-password cmd

PsExec v1.94 – Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2008 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals – http://www.sysinternals.com

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>tracert 10.10.10.10

Tracing route to 10.10.10.10 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  192.168.1.1
2     6 ms     6 ms     6 ms  10.1.1.1
3    29 ms    37 ms    31 ms  10.1.2.1
4     2 ms     4 ms     2 ms  192.2.3.1
5    11 ms     8 ms     9 ms  xxxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx [10.2.5.3]
6    19 ms    17 ms    17 ms  172.16.36.1
7    22 ms    24 ms    20 ms  172.16.37.2
8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Etc, etc. Obviously I changed the IP’s but you get the idea.. You can run applications remotely and the client is blissfully unaware. Woot.

Thanks Mat.

Windows Update woes

July 28, 2008

Ok I ran into an issue where Windows updates would simply not install. It’d download them and go through the process of installing but then would fail them all.
 
This is what I did to fix it:
 
Open a command prompt  :
  1. Click Start, Run and type in CMD.
  2. Type net stop wuauserv and hit return.
  3. Type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll and hit return
  4. It will then pop up a box – click OK.
  5. Go back to the DOS prompt and Type net start wuauserv.
That’s it. Go back to Microsoft’s update page and try again. It should work.

Symantec’s Anti Virus tips

July 25, 2008

I tried today to find a solution for all the updates that Symantec’s AntiVirus product gathers other time but never deletes. The server I was working on had about 6GB worth of old definitions! Anyway after an exhausting Google search, I found some websites that charge you for the solution,(no thanks) so in the end I worked it out myself and here’s the solution;

  • You should have a “LiveUpdate Administration Utility“. Load it up.
  • Under Tools, there’s an option to “Clean up download Directory“!! Hey Presto! This is it.
  • Once you click on that, there’s a “Delete ALL Files” or “Remove Unsued Files“. I chose the second option and it did exactly what I wanted. i.e. remove all the old Def’s that I no longer used or wanted.

So ends the tip for today.

D.