Archive for July, 2014

Activate Office 2010 from command line.

July 14, 2014

If you run into trouble activating Office 2010 through Windows, you can do it with the command line like this:

x86
cscript “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs” /act
x64
cscript “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs” /act

I was having trouble getting it activated on my Mac laptop running Parallels, and this did the trick. Must be possible for other versions as well.

Recovering a VM backed up with Windows server backup.

July 12, 2014

The following is what I did to restore the VM Exchange server at PCS from a backup VHD file created with Windows Server Backup to a different VM on a different host system.
 
  1. To begin with, on the base system where I was trying to move the backup VHD to, in Hyper-V manager I created a new server but did not install any operating system. One of the options was to install the OS later. I gave it all the options I wanted such as RAM etc. 
  2. On the same base system, I created a VHD using disk management. Make sure it is large enough to hold the entire backup. I suggest making it a bit larger than the original if possible, but it has to be at least equally as large.
  3. I did not format the drive. I mounted it in disk management and assigned it a drive letter. Don’t really know if formatting it would have made any difference but it worked this way. My theory was that the format would come from the backup and formatting it would just have been more wasted time.
  4. Using Windows server backup, I chose to recover a disk. I choose the originally backup from the USB drive, as it would not recognize the copy we made to the local drive for reason unknown. Microsoft’s techs did not understand why either. I choose the VHD I had just created as the target location to restore the back to, and set it off running.
  5. The restore process took some time. A bit over two hours. It will depend on the size of the backup. Nothing to do but wait.
  6. When the restore completed, I dismounted the VHD using disk management.
  7. Next, in Hyper-V manager, I set that VHD as the boot drive for the server I created back in step one. In this case it was my Exchange server.
  8. I tried to boot using that hard drive, but it failed with an error.
  9. I then booted the new server from the Windows 2008 server installation disk. To do this you must have a CD drive attached to the VM. This is simply an option I choose back in step 1, but it can be done at any time as long as the VM is off.
  10. I went into the Window recovery environment (which I still call the recovery console from earlier versions).
  11. I opened the command prompt and used “fixmbr”. I then tried to boot the server. This did not work, but it got me a little farther. It got past the previous error and gave me a new error. I did not record the error numbers as I was a bit delirious by this time from two days of wrestling with this.
  12. I booted back to the recovery environment and back to the command prompt. I then ran “bootrec /RebuildBcd”. I rebooted the server.
  13. And there was much rejoicing. It booted. Still, after booting the NIC in the VM did not have a driver, but after I went into hardware manager and told it to reinstall the drive and let it automatically find one, it did. I had to reboot once more and then the NIC worked. I had to assign the correct IP address to the NIC, but once I did that, mail started to work immediately. Everything was as it had been. I check OWA, Outlook on a clients PC and sent some test emails. All was well.
  14. Whew.

Multiple Monitor issue with Parallels 8 and Mavericks

July 1, 2014

Boy this one took a bit of working out and head bashing.

All the stuff I found researching is looking in the wrong place. Parallels isn’t broken (though  you should make sure that the Tools are installed and updated).

Basically there’s an option in Mavericks that wasn’t there before… namely “Displays have separate Spaces”.

System Preferences > Mission Control > Uncheck “Displays have separate Spaces”.

Problem solved.