January 21, 2017
Simple solution but here’s the scenario;
I had to replace a 2003 server with a 2012 server. So the original forest and domain is 2003 (I had to upgrade that from 2000!) but when I tried to promote the 2012 server to a DC it balked with this error;
“A domain controller running 2008 or later could not be located in this domain.”
I did some digging and found that it’s really not stopping you but prompting you to put in a recovery password. Thanks for the intuitive message MS.
So simply type in a recovery password and it will allow you to continue the promotion.
January 7, 2017
I just spent two + hours trying to figure this out.
Setting the scene;
L2TP client VPN intermittently working…
Client VPN’s had been working just fine with a mix of Mac and Windows.
Today it might take 10 attempts to connect before it’s successful!
I will get right to the point. The issue was caused by a combination of Meraki having a bug and Comcast’s DNS being terrible.
We had configured our MX device to use Google’s DNS as primary and Comcast as secondary.
Beleive it or not but the problem was caused because of putting Comcast’s DNS in as a secondary. This is bug with Meraki as I said because all the DNS servers are referenced when the VPN is attempting to estabish. If ANY of the DNS servers don’t respond or are very delayed then your VPN won’t work.
The fix? Changed the secondary to Google’s secondary (18.104.22.168) and boom. Works flawlessly.
[Emoji with the rolling eyes]
Stay strong out there 🙂
December 19, 2016
OK so first off this is a VERY unusual post for me because I didn’t figure out the cause of the problem.
What I wanted to do was to save you time (hopefully) in fixing the issue!
To that end, of course try the obvious things like connecting to a different network or using a different adapter (wired vs wireless) but if all else fails, simply run a System Restore to when it WAS working.
If I had taken this advice it would have saved me hours of investigative work 🙂
I’m sorry I don’t have the answer to the problem but this is at least a fix. (or it was for me anyway)
October 25, 2016
If you have a third party app that interacts with Outlook (such as Encore) and when it requests access you get prompted by Outlook.
For most of the time you can give access either one off or from 1 to 10 minutes at a time but if you need to just drop the prompts (and bear in mind the reason they put this in was for security reasons!) then follow these registry tweaks to allow access WITHOUT prompts.
You’ve been warned re the security so on with the show;
Open the registry editor and navigate to;
You’ll most likely need to create these entries and change their values to 2 for AutoApprove;
Dword : PromptOOMAddressInformationAccess
Value : 2
You will won’t be able to edit the options but it won’t prompt you anymore…
September 21, 2016
Yesterday I worked with MS tech support to solve a problem at a client with a new server that it turns out I created months ago. The problem I was having was that the sysvol was not syncing between the old and new servers. Also, AD was looking to the old server for some AD functions when it should have been looking to the new server, which holds all the FSMO roles. The question was why? I could not decommission the old server until this was resolved.
I replaced the hard drive in the old server several months ago because the boot partition was too small and was always full. So I installed a larger HD but had left the original hard drive also connected as a secondary drive. It was not booting from this drive, so I assumed it would not cause any trouble. It turns out that DFS looks to the volume ID to identify a drive when syncing, and when you clone a drive the identical volume ID can end up being cloned too. So DFS was finding two drives where there should have been one, and was therefore confused.
Once I took the older drive offline, DFS syncing operated normally. All is now well. So lesson learned. If you clone a drive with Active Directory data on it, do NOT leave the original drive also attached to that computer. If you want to use that drive for anything it should be wiped first.
July 11, 2016
So for those of you who are running a Mac and use Apple Mail this might be interesting;
If you ever get an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT it’s because Outlook (or another mail client) is encoding the file with extra text information that Apple doesn’t like.
Its like a sulking competition that’s been going on forever it seems, where neither side is willing to change…
Anyway if you do get it, check your webmail (assuming you a have webmail site) instead of asking the person to resend it in a different way. Your webmail interface generally does not use Apple’s Mail product and doesn’t fail at opening those attachments.
Got WINMAIL.DAT? Goto Webmail. Problem solved.
Either that or use a different Email client on your Mac, but I’m presuming that’s going to be more of a hassle than occasionally checking webmail.
May 12, 2016
I had a problem with a Mac that whenever I tried to run Chrome it would fail. I uninstalled and reinstalled but it would still fail.
The fix was to clear out his Chrome profile located here;
- ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome
If you don’t care about the plugins/Bookmarks/etc then go ahead and either delete or rename the Chrome folder. If you do then you’ll need to poke about within that folder to save the info you want.
February 1, 2016
Weird would be a good word here…
Anyway long story short (as always) it was caused by corruption in the OFFICE profile – location found below.
Just rename the office folder – of course making sure you don’t have any office apps open at the time.
- Rename %APPDATA%\Local\Microsoft\Office to something like Office.old.
Open Word (or Excel, etc.) by it’s self (not loading a file) and then close the application.
Then go open that pesky network file and it should fix it.